Monday, October 6, 2008

Managing My Bucket List

The bucket list . . . all those things you want to do before you kick the bucket.

When we moved into our house six years ago, there was already a neat tree house in the back yard. Our only daughter is already grown, but the nephews and neices love to play in it when we have get-togethers. My favorite memory is of my nephew Angus, a budding comedian, performing "Comedy Hour" from the tree house with his audience seated on the back deck. Patty's favorite is of nephew Christopher's birthday party: We sat him in a chair under the railing and lowered his gifts down to him one by one with a rope and pulley.

I've always wanted to haul a sleeping bag up there and spend the night. For six summers I've thought about it. Geez, you'd think I could have made it happen just once. Now the opportunity's gone forever. Coupla weeks ago I tore it down to make room for the new garage. Just another example of the importance of seizing opportunities and taking time to really live life. Damn.







During the teardown, I took a break and rode over to pick up some stuff at the LBS. On the way back, I rode by one of the Olmsted Triangle Parks - the one where 25th intersects with Garfield. If it's not the smallest park in Spokane, it's gotta be a very close second. Nobody every goes there. What the hell. It's a great little park and I've had this idea for a while that I need to organize a bike picnic there. Bikes only. If you drive a car, you have to park two blocks away and walk. Now I just need a cargo bike worthy of hauling a grill, some buns & burgers and one of those mini Heineken kegs. Or make friends with someone who already has one. Hmmm.



The lonely, littlest-sister-in-Manito's-shadow . . . it would make her day. Next summer for sure . . . not gonna let this one get away.

Tree house sleepover deleted. Bike picnic at Olmsted Park added. Bucket list updated.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea Pat. I ride pretty close to those little triangle parks almost every day on my way to and from work and I think they would be a great location for a bike only barbecue.

Hank Greer said...

An excellent idea! I'd even suffer through you South Hill'ers looking down your noses at this humble North Sider while I suck down a free beer or two.

Uh, there is free beer, right? ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'd load up the BD for that. Like Jason, when I commute downtown, I ride right by there.

Pat S said...

An Olmsted bike picnic it is, then. Yup, free beer, Hank. We learned a long time ago that it's the surest way to get a northsider to climb the hill.

Hank Greer said...

I'm there!