Saturday, October 30, 2010

What Color Is Your Nerdachute?

Couple or more days ago, my friend Alan commented on this post. He's a really creative and forward-thinking guy and his suggestion was that maybe the bike nerd color scale could be it's own thing instead of having to ride the coattails of the whole homeland security gig.

The actual statement was "Yes, the nerd alert has been raised to "orange," or, in nerd-speak: coral." Holy hell. That made instant sense and set my twisted mind reeling down a fresh new path.

Chartreuse had already been brought up because how can you have any kind of respectable color conversation without including that one, and then Andrew mentioned mauve, which, how can you argue out of the conversation, and I had already been thinking about olive.

So. Exactly how does it work?

Well, in order from least to most nerdy, it's:

olive
mauve
coral
magenta
chartreuse

I already know that coral is totally where I wanna live. Accept that I am a nerd and be a respectable middle-of-the-road-one, is my thinking. Plus, it's incredibly warm. But also recognize that I am susceptible to life on the fringe and that I will have to wage epic battles with my demons to keep from going hotter and getting weirder.

Glow-in-the-dark-chartreuse and live-in-the-shadows-olive people: you know who you are, we know who you are. This is an accepting place and we don't come here to judge. But please, don't try to bullshit us.

As for honesty as it actually applies to me, Patty's out of town this weekend which leaves me with a lot of freedom and I'm only one night in, and I'm already struggling not to peg the nerd color meter.





Coratreuse, I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post raises the nerd alert to peuce.

Alan said...

As long as you're embracing your geeky side, why not spend some time reading this very geeky blog: http://www.geekologie.com/