Saturday, June 14, 2008

Greece

I was in Greece last week, on business. Athens, specifically. First time there. Unbelievable history.



I'm always anxious to see what's going on cycling-wise in the different countries I visit. Usually, my expectations are not met with disappointment. Before this trip, I had this fantasty that I would have some free time and an opportunity to rent a bike and ride the city. What I found was that cycling is practically non-existant in Athens. Aside from one lonely guy totally decked out in a CSC kit, doing this endless trackstand while he waited for a break in traffic, and a couple of other guys on cheap mountain bikes, I saw nobody on a bike. And this is a diverse, populous city. Weird. Motorcycles and scooters everywhere. And smart cars by the thousands. No bikes, though. The few I saw were made-in-China and un-inspiring.

Wish I'd had the chance to take some pictures of the CSC guy, with the traffic as a backdrop. Those would be some great pics. His story must be interesting.

By contrast, I flew through Amsterdam. I've never spent any time there, but even from the air, you can see all the people on bikes and the amazing cycling infrastucture. Wow.

It would be such an experience to cycle in some of these places. Someday. Maybe.

What this whole experience makes me appreciate and know for certain is how great we have it here in Spokane.

No comments: