Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Appalachian Miracle Relic Unearthed!



No, this is not a piece of coal that came out of the ground shaped like a cross that has mystical healing powers that I am trying to pitch to The Enquirer.

It's part of my ugly fender hack job that involves . . . wood.

I don't know if any of you guys and gals have anything on your bikes that started out as a tree. I do, and it's not the first time. Sometimes, wood just works.

I finished up last Sunday's gate project somewhere between 8 and 9 pm, running on fumes. I'd been dying to get to the bike all day and wasn't gonna let a couple little things like darkness, hunger and sleep deprivation get in my way. I didn't have a solid plan for mounting the fenders and most of my right kind of tools for this job are lost someplace in storage. Luckily, I had a table saw, a halogen worklight, some wood scraps and of course, cheap beer.

The cross started out as a piece of pine shelving. There were a couple of diffent power and manual saws involved, along with a wood rasp. It was eventually slathered with with gloss black rustoleum. Like all righteous hacks, electrical tape and cable ties were involved. I don't have time for elegance. What I do have is a fender spacer and bike that is ready to roll on rain. (Yes, I'm trying to justifying this embarassing mess.)



The front fender spacer looks infinitely more professional, except if you had seen the barbaric methods that went into creating it.


In case your enquiring mind wants to know, here's how you dry spray paint on a cold night. Just leave it there until really foul-smelling smoke starts to roll off of it and that's how you know it's done.


It looks pretty good, as long as you don't get too close.


1 comment:

Michael said...

Nothing spells fun like cheap beer and a table saw!

Nice looking winter ride.