Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hanging In

Work and other life stuff have lately been crushing me at a level I haven't been crushed before. I've kind of retreated into survival mode and it's left me not caring about a lot of things that are normally important. Among those things, a diminished interest in bikes - to the point of seriously wondering if I really give a rip anymore. Crazy talk, but I shit you not.

But then when I step outside of myself and objectively look what I've been up to, it's damn hard to make a case. In my scant spare time, I've been researching and obsessing over and now have a badass new winter bike on order. This weekend, I got a bigtime burr under my saddle and carved out a few hours to clean up the workbench and get it ready to build racks and do other fabulous wintertime fabrication activities.  That thing under the brown tarp is the lathe I bought at the end of last winter and haven't used yet - it's gonna do some killer shit, I hope.  I've hung some new lights to brighten things up. Etc.



Apparently then, it's not that easy for the harshness of life to snuff out bike spirit. In fact, maybe adversity is what makes it thrive. I'm not sure.  At any rate, I think everything's gonna be okay.

2 comments:

Jacque Hendrix said...

Phew! I was getting concerned. We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

Riding in Reno said...

Don't say that! Some of us live for the slow winter days when your posts are filled with endless rack building ideas! Bring on the lathe!