Sunday, August 29, 2010

84InchPaddles

Patty and I got away for a few days this past week. It was totally the best shit ever. My head isn't back yet and maybe not coming back ever. We rented a houseboat on Lake Roosevelt with some family and friends. It was supposed to be eight of us but two bailed, so it ended up being just six. On a boat 64' long x 15' wide with two levels. Hell, that's almost 2000 square feet. So all that space and then we had the whole damn north end of the lake to ourselves. Ruthless.

This was a getaway, including from blogging and taking pictures and all that shit. But I still managed a couple. On the very far north end of the lake there's this organic winery that you can access from the beach, albeit with a bit of a climb. Here's a shot of our boat on the lake from halfway up that trail . . .



Maybe the best part of the trip, though, was the kayaks. Oh, the kayaks. This kind . . .



Some of our "crew" brought two of them. Patty and I had tried paddling a coupla times before, but it never really clicked. This time, though, holy hell. We were in heaven on water. Especially after dark. I was out under a full or near-full moon every night. It was religious, even capsizing in the dark. Maybe especially. All baptism-like.

It's still a bike blog, but for just a little while longer, I'm living on the water. Promise to talk about brifters, brakes, bottom brackets or ball bearings real soon.

2 comments:

Jason Gilman said...

The cool thing (or perhaps the dangerous thing for you Pat) about kayaks is that they're even easier to build than bike racks. I say this because I built a Yostwerks SeaRaider LC 5 years ago before I got into my more sensible (since I can do it daily, year round) cycling hobby.

Anonymous said...

I can't decide between brifters or retro thumbies for the kayak I'm building.


Might even just leave it as a fixie.