Monday, August 9, 2010

The Gift That Keeps On Giving

Riding the Midnight Century brings joy to your life. Just ask anyone. What may not be so readily apparent is that it extends into the days that follow. The joy, that is.

On a good night I sleep 6 hours and I wake up a buncha times. Last night I slept 13 and I only woke up once. It was at 8:30 pm on Sunday and I looked at the clock, looked at the bit of light coming through the window, decided it was 8:30 in the morning, figured out it was Monday, and determined that they were gonna havta get along without me at work. Not even calling in. Do you know how much you'd havta spend on prescription sleep aids to put you in this state of mind? And I got it for free.

When I finally did wake up, I felt great. All back to normal. That is, until I had to go down to the basement to get something. Four stairs into the climb back up, my legs started shaking, I got all woozey, and had to stop and grab the rail so I didn't pass out. It was the good kind of woozey, though.

I had trouble forming words all day. I would say the word I meant and something else would come out. Complete sentences were as rare as Texas snowstorms. Mostly they just trailed . . .

Regarding food safety: No food was safe around me.

I managed to clean my drivetrain tonight. That way I won't have to get quite as dirty while I diagnose all the funky new noises it's making.



Super fun day of just being totally spaced, watching the results roll in and take shape on John's blog, thankful that I don't have to do it again anytime soon. If you rode, I know your life has joy. If you didn't and you are longing for joy, I hope you will show up next year and load up on this crazy kind.

1 comment:

Jason Gilman said...

My Trek's drive train sounded horrible on the ride home Sunday- like all the fresh lube I had added Saturday had been washed away by 100 miles of rain and washboard. Thanks for reminding me why I shouldn't ride it into work yet- it still needs some recovery time and TLC of its own. Perhaps by Wednesday we'll both be suitably recovered for a minimal commute.