Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Midnight Century On The Brain - #3

Umm, lighting. This time last year I was all about a system mounted completely on my head.



I don't even know what emotion was driving this state of mind, but the whole concept seems seriously disturbing now, just a year later. Not to mention that I blinded some really good friends. The light is back on the bike, where it belongs and I have a whole 'nother spare helmet that I can use any time of day or night. And my neck isn't killing me. Sweet.

3 comments:

mechBgon said...

Another useful aspect of bar-mounted lights is how they skim across the surface and cast visible shadows on stuff, such as washboard, so it's easier to avoid. I'm going with a good bar-mounted light, plus a small flashlight rubber-banded to the helmet for repairs and stuff.

Pat S said...

Yeah, good point about the angle of the light and shadows, Tom. Especially considering the time spent trying to find the "least washboardy" line through those dirt sections.

I'm also going to try to figure out a small light to mount on my helmet for the utility stuff.

FBC Spokane said...

A good bright light on the helmet in addition to the one on the bike is not a bad idea. I like being able to see into the turns long before I steer into them. Though you might want to put the battery pack on your belt so you don't snap your head clean off.