Sunday, January 20, 2013

Thnowthoeing On Thunday

Patty and I met Glen and Christa, along with her substantial crew of friends and family, for some snowshoeing at Antoine Peak this morning.  We would have been nine strong, except that Thylvethter didn't thow.  So it was the eight of us.  (No idea, how this Puddy Tat worked his way into my imagination tonight or how he relates to snowshoeing, or anything that happened today, but I'm rolling with it anyway.)

Upon waking up and looking outside this morning, everything looked dark and foggy-damp-cold and not at all inviting.  But by the time we got to the trailhead, the sun was popping out and hitting the exceptionally crystalliney ground blanket and I could just sense that it was gonna be a rad outing.


The trail was snow boot-walkable out of the parking lot for a few hundred yards, but it didn't take long before we were travelling on a legit snowshoe base, where you'd have been post-holing without them.  Nope, the trail that we were packing with our 'shoes would not be fatbike-rideable, in case you're wondering.




This is our group, less Christa and her mom . . .

Brandy!  Over here!

Candid family portrait, courtesy Glen . . .


It would not have been a complete day for me if it hadn't invovled a little high-marking, so I fell back towards the end, and did my thing.


I just continue to be more impressed with Antoine Peak every time I'm there.  It's so close and yet so removed from the city.  It's real winter there, once you gain a few hundered feet in elevation.  I can't help but think what a fantastic workout it would be to 'shoe to the top.  It would probably be a 5 or 6 hour round trip, with lunch in the middle, maybe at the peak.  Serious food for thought.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I made the wrong athumption about the meaning of highmarking.

Thtill, you're pithy ath alwayth!