Saturday, April 21, 2012

Nineteen

The Milwaukee Trip. I knew it was coming up and I had identified it early on as the main potential impediment to a successful thirtydaysofbiking campaign. It was to be a quick three-day trip and I had a workable plan for day one - get up at the butt-crack-of-dawn and ride before I had to leave to catch my early flight. And I had a plan for day three - a late ride after my plane touched back down in Spo. But that middle day in Milwaukee - oy. If I'd had any free time at all, it would have been simple - head to one of the many great bike shops there and explain my predicament and hope that they would empathize with my situation and let me take one of the shop bikes out on a short ride. Or do a rental. Whatever. It wouldn't have been a problem. But it was a problem, because I would be slammed all day and into the evening with the business I was there to do. I racked my brain over possible solutions - borrow a folder from someone here that I could take with me, or hope to borrow a bike from some unknown commuter at the company I was visiting - but no practical and/or reliable solution emerged from that exercise. I was starting to resign myself to the fact that a contiguous 30 days of riding just wasn't happenin'.

But then at the last moment, the miracle solution appeared, right in the basement of the hotel . . .


Don't laugh.


Ride nineteen happened at another incredibly ridiculous early morning hour, so I think I should get some credit for that. And it definitely meets the criteria: "Bike somewhere every day for 30 days". Hell, if riding up Mount freaking Kilimanjaro on a a recumbent doesn't count, I don't know what does. I'm actually starting to think I'm sort of badass. But that could be the beer talking. At any rate, I'm considering the streak intact. And I'm glad to be home, where the riding is just a little more convenient.

1 comment:

John Crackwhora said...

Don't stop at Kilmanjaro--you could be the first to bag all Seven Summits on a stationary bicycle.

Because it's virtually there, dude.